Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Shakespeare conspiracy

Is William Shakespeare overrated? 

You may choose to answer this question in terms of his overall genius and impact upon history or in terms of his ability solely as a playwright or a poet. 

Please give some rationale for your opinion along with evidence that you find convincing. My English students should write a well-developed paragraph. The rest of you out there in the void may respond as the spirit leads you.

Willam Shakespeare is a gifted poet and playwright, having poduced many famous works including 38 plays and 154 sonnets. He is probably the most widely known poet of his time with his works translated into mot major languages and is commenly refered to as the greatest writer in the English language. Oftenly named "The Bard", he is sometimes consider England's national poet. 

After reading and analyzing some of his most known work, I, personally, must admit that he is greatly skilled. Through his works he has successfully explored many themes related to various issues of life including love, hate, passion, human nature, fate, time, etc. Though he is an excellent poet, I must add that I consider him slightly overrated, by this I do not mean to undermine his work, yet must note the existence of many other poets of comaprable skill. People often tend to overlook the others when discussing great poets, Shakespeare was successful partly due to fateful opportunity that led to his eventual fame.

As for his actual work, he has produced what can be considered amazing feats of literature, yet upon my actual reading of some, I must admit I was somewhat disappointed. After hearing so much about Romeo and Juliet, I found the acutal play falling slightly short of my expectations. I enjoyed the play emensly but found it somewhat overrated, people had described it as "the greatest love story of all time" and, honestly, it was not what I had anticapated. This is only one example of how Shakespeare is slightly overrated, he has been very successful and deserves most of fame, but I can comfortably conclude that Shakespeare is definetly overreated.

No comments: