Sunday, May 25, 2008

Reaction to The Rock of Tanios

In what way or ways do you "connect" with the book The Rock of Tanios by Amin Maalouf? In what way is it accessible or familiar to you? 

The Rock of Tanios by Amin Maalouf is a novel set in Lebanon, or the area that was to become Lebanon, during the time of the Ottoman rule. The setting and numerous historical references aided me in "connecting" with the novel. Many areas and regions mentioned are places I've been to or I know of, as most are in Lebanon or the Middle East.  The historical background of the novel is very familiar to me as it is the history of the foundation of my country, Lebanon, and the historical effects of many of the events impact the situation today in various ways. Although I have not studied the history of Lebanon in school, much of it is reflected in our society today. The title "Sheikh" carried on as a title of nobility until recently. The hierarchy system is still present in many countries in the Middle East, where the Emir is the highest in command. The cultural background was also very familiar to me; many proverbs and italicized Arabic words are known to me, as their usage has continued on to this day in Lebanon. Examples of these are "yabni" (p.12), "hajje" (p.26), "ya binti" (p.23), "kishk" (p. 126), "effendi" (p.146), etc. Many traditions and the way of life illustrated in the novel reflect, to a certain degree, the culture present in modern day Lebanon. These are some ways I am able to connect with the novel. The setting, historical and cultural backgrounds are very familiar to me, as a Lebanese citizen. 


3 comments:

Sirena said...

I agree with you, because I have lived here all my life, it makes it much easier for me to "connect" with the novel, its characters, and setting. And since I am alble to understand all the italicized Arabic words that occur frequently throughout the novel, it makes me feel more familiar with the setting and the atmosphere since I use them in my every day language such as "hajje" or "ya binti". Good job :)

TRACY said...

(...great response Melda!)

The references did indeed make it easier for me to connect with the novel mainly due to the fact that I am Lebanese and that I can relate to the cultural references. Also, I am aware of the historical references that Amin Maalouf has referred to. The fact that most of the students in class are Lebanese subsequently makes it easier for them to relate to the, and that is the aspect that perhaps has made the majority of the students in the class enjoys greatly the novel.
It is true; the author does use a lot of Arabic words such as "Sheikh" etc... This shows that the fact the we can understand the words proves that the Lebanese and Middle Eastern culture has evolved however many things have stayed the same!

David said...

Our blog posts are very similar. I would like to applaud the effort that you put into fetching the background information on the setting of the story. I like the way you linked the hierarchy in the book to those of some other middle-eastern countries.